Wednesday, November 5, 2014

What's with those "workboxes!"? - Part 2


Welcome back!  I hope that my last post gave you some good insight on Workboxes and the way we use them around here.  Make sure you peek back at the Part 1 post if you missed it.

Part One - Workboxes

Now that J is "kindergarten" age, I see the importance of using the workboxes.  And the past 2 years, just taught me how I should alter and adjust to make these work for my kiddos.  If you google or Pinterest "Workboxes", you'll notice quickly that Homeschoolers have done just as I have - MADE IT WORK FOR THEM!

So here's some of my "Ah-Ha!" moments I have had over the years with on workboxes.

  • Each box that I plan must be a REVIEW for J.  (N doesn't do workboxes)  If I have taught it, this is a great way for me to assess what J has learned or what I need to reteach.  I have tried putting new concepts and skills into the boxes for J and it just turns into a frustration fest for us both.

  • I have marked the boxes to help me plan. (see labels inside boxes)


  • Some need to be fun; some need to be serious.  But overall, keep it simple!  My serious workboxes are usually assessments (which happens every month or so)
This workbox, J is using Halloween stickers to create Math equations or story problems.

  • Just add CANDY and "Work with Mommy" icon!  Wouldn't that make any Lil Learner excited about learning.
"Work with Mommy" icon is in the box, bottom right
Just add candy!  Fun vowel game with candy corn that we played to review vowel sounds


  • Less stress is best!  If I don't have workboxes planned for that week, it's going to be ok.  I just plan more 1-on-1 lessons. Because I don't use a specific Homeschooling curriculum, planning can get tricky and time consuming.  But no specific curriculum is our preference (for now)  I pull from the internet, my own files and my own teaching brain...that can be time consuming.  
I have tried to do lesson plans electronically...call me old fashion, but the pencil&paper thing is all I need!
I plan in pencils and write updates and notes in red.




And there ya have it!  Alittle peek into how this workbox thing works for us.  Just keep in mind, it's been a LONG work in progress.  But that's what is so sweet about homeschooling - making it all work for you and your child!  You ARE their best and first teacher!

Stop by next week for a bunch of printables to get you started on your very own workboxes for your Little Learners.

Happy Learning! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Host a Homeschool Workshop

I remember going to my first homeschool conference in Ft. Worth, Texas.  I walked up to a GIANT convention center and opened the doors into...