Sunday, February 15, 2015

Purpose-driven life ... Confirmed!



I have ALWAYS wanted to be a teacher - I remember teaching multiple Cabbage Patch Dolls, my little brother (which was my best student), and even "laminating" pieces of paper with clear packing tape just so I could write with erasable markers!

God had planted that desire in my heart LONG ago and LONG before I ever knew what
 passion and purpose were!

Then you all know that I proudly went on to be a public school teacher and a Reading Coach.  And actually got to use a REAL laminator - and yes!  I laminated EVERYTHING!

And then, my children were born and my husband and I made the decision to homeschool...

I have never doubted our decision to homeschool - and I will be very honest - there have been THOSE days, I wish I had a morning that included the gym, maybe brunch with some girlfriends, then a nap with my littlest guy before jumping in my Mom-mobile to sit in the car line to pick up my 6 yr old from Kindergarten.  Yes...there have been THOSE days of wishful thinking.

But something magical happen this month that strongly confirmed that I am living out my God-given purpose!  Homeschooling was just another great decision that my husband and I had made together...and another awesome path God is leading me down.

At the beginning of the month, I plan and taught another workshop for Little Learners.  I had been doing these workshop for parents and their kiddos for a few months now...but this one was going to be different!


I asked THIS special guy to join me!  I just simply asked him if he could come and help me teach other Moms and kids about how we do learning at home....and his answer was a BIG "YES!!!", followed by a hug!




We introduced our audience to one of our special and "well-loved" books - Todd Parr's The I love You Book.



We wrote a special Valentine together - and the funny thing is - he told me in the car he was going to write a Valentine to his cousin, Addie.  But during the lesson, he had changed his mind and decided to write one to  ME...his mom!

He wrote, we shared and we had a very special moment that day!

And I had an amazing realization...

Purpose-driven life...just confirmed!  God gave me the passion and the gift of teaching and here I was teaching OTHER Moms, OTHER children while teaching MY kiddo at the same time.

WOW!  What a magical day and one that I will NEVER forget!  This guy...this 6 year old...is why my heart is full and my life is blessed.  God blessed me with him and now it's time for US (he and I) to bless others through our gift of teaching...together.






So whatever your passion is...cooking, sports, singing, teaching, reading, art, gardening...the list can go on!
DO IT WITH YOUR KIDS!
Show them and incorporate them into what you love and you'll be amazed at how that connects you with your kids!

Happy Learning with your Little Ones!  And my they TEACH you just as much or more than you've taught them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Host a Homeschool Workshop

I remember going to my first homeschool conference in Ft. Worth, Texas.  I walked up to a GIANT convention center and opened the doors into...